For generations our craftsmen have created the finest quality, most beautiful doors for both Interior and Exterior applications. Our doors are made in the U.S.A., with Knotty Alder lumber sourced only from responsibly managed forests. And, our products are covered by an industry leading Warranty.
Learn about our craftsmanship, including:
- Engineered Stiles & Rails
- Solid Panels
- Bore & Dowel Construction
- Panel & Sticking Profiles
- Crating & Shipping
Stiles and rails are the vertical and horizontal “frame” components respectively of the door. Our stiles and rails are engineered to resist bowing and warping. We use industry leading 1/8″ thick veneers, with superior quality TimberStrand® Laminated Strand Lumber (LSL) core material on all 1-3/8” thick doors, and Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL) core material on all 1-3/4” thick doors. Our LVL core is manufactured with a vertical layup, with laminated layers positioned at a 90° angle to the veneer surface for maximum stability. The top rails of all Top Rail Arch doors are solid wood. In addition, on all Exterior doors, solid wood lock rails (center) and kick rails (bottom) are used to prevent delamination of veneers due to exposure from outside moisture and other elements.
Panels are the large, wider boards used to fill the space between the stiles and rails. Our panels are solid wood—much higher quality than pressboard panels with thin veneers, or hollow core panels. Panels are manufactured with small width boards, edge glued to create the larger width panel. Individual boards are random widths, glued in alternating grain patterns to balance the panel and reduce the natural tendency of the wood to warp or cup.
Our doors are assembled with bore and dowel construction. We use industry leading 1/2″ diameter dowels. Stiles and rails are bored, glued and then doweled for optimum strength and stability. Panels fit into grooves in the stile and rail components, and “float” on rubber spacers to allow for minor expansion and shrinking of the wood with the natural moisture and environmental changes of the home.
“Sticking” is the decorative trim wood placed between the stiles and rails and the panels of the door. Our 1-3/8” thick panel and plank doors feature a notched and gradual bevel panel profile and a beveled sticking profile. Our 1-3/4” thick panel and plank doors feature a subtle convex panel profile and a “C” (concave and convex curved) sticking profile. Plank doors also include “V-Grooves” cut into the panels. Our Craftsman style doors (also called “Arts & Crafts” or Shaker style) include square sticking and flat panels. Glass doors (1-Lite) have 1/4” thick clear, single glaze (SG) tempered glass.
1-3/8” Thick Doors
1-3/4” Thick Doors
A pre-hung door consists of a door hung on hinges and assembled in a wood frame (the frame is also called the door “jamb”), with a door stop. A pre-hung door is ready to install in the door opening, with no on-site assembly required. This reduces construction time (and scheduling) and lowers project cost. If the pre-hung door is also pre-finished, this further reduces steps and cost in the construction process.
We not only manufacture the highest quality door slabs, but we also offer optional pre-hanging of the doors. Factory pre-hanging ensures that hinge pockets are mortised square and precise, and that hinges are always flush on the door and frame. Hinges are included in the price of pre-hanging, and are available in a selection of color choices. Boring and latch/dead bolt mortising are also provided at no additional cost with factory pre-hanging. A choice of single or double bore options are available in different “backset” positions (the placement of the handle or lockset from the door edge). Factory pre-hanging also ensures that the “reveal” (the small gap between the door and the jamb, when the door is closed) is always correct.
Pre-Hung Interior Doors
Pre-Hung Exterior Doors
To learn more about our pre-hanging options and choices, select Pre-Hanging from the main menu.
Factory pre-finishing is a hallmark of our company. Our pre-finishing experience began over 25 years ago, and our finishes are renowned in the door industry. We offer the highest quality factory-applied stains, glazes, and topcoats—available in 24 color options. Our pre-finishes are “fine furniture” quality, providing much higher quality and lower cost than on-site painting. And our pre-finished products are ready to install, further adding value by reducing time and cost in the construction process. A summary of our pre-finishing strengths includes:
- A minimum of 30 minutes per door hand-sanding—ensuring grain closure and perfect preparation prior to finishing
- Top quality catalyzed conversion and UV (Ultra-Violet) varnish systems (similar to high-end pre-finished cabinets and fine furniture)
- Proprietary stain formulas created specifically for our environment and applied using HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) and air-assisted spray guns—ensuring even tones with no blotchiness
- A “clean room”, dust-free environment not achievable on the jobsite—preventing small dust and dirt particles from settling on the product before drying
- Six-sided coating on doors, providing moisture seal on all sides, preventing warping. Our door warranty increases from one year to five years on our pre-finished Interior door options
To learn more about our pre-finishing options and choices, select Pre-Finishing from the main menu. Please note that pre-finish colors illustrated on computer screens may not exactly match the actual pre-finished colors of the doors. We assume no liability for such color discrepancies, and encourage buyers to request color samples from Sun Mountain to ensure satisfaction.
All orders are shipped direct to the home or jobsite in sturdy crating. Single door units are shipped pre-hung (as applicable), ready to install. Pre-hung double doors, are shipped “Knocked Down” (or KD) and must be re-assembled prior to installation. Freight and crate charges are calculated based upon volume (door count), and are assessed at the time of check out.
ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON UNFINISHED DOORS
FIVE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON FACTORY PRE-FINISHED INTERIOR DOORS
Sun Mountain doors are warranted to be of sound material and workmanship and to be free of defects which would cause the door to be unfit for ordinary recommended use for the period of twelve (12) months from the date of shipment. In addition, interior doors which have been pre-finished by Sun Mountain are warranted for an additional four (4) years. This extended warranty applies only to the construction of the door, and not the factory pre-finish itself. See Sun Mountain’s “Finishing and Care Instructions” for details on finish maintenance.
If a defect occurs within one year from the date of shipment, written notice of the defect must be provided to Sun Mountain. Buyer shall not return any goods until Sun Mountain has been provided a reasonable opportunity to inspect the goods at Buyer’s premises to determine whether a defect exists. Sun Mountain will not be liable for any doors repaired, returned, or replaced without prior written consent. If warranted doors contain defects covered under this limited warranty, Sun Mountain shall be limited to, at Sun Mountain’s option, 1) repairing or replacing the doors or 2) refunding the purchase price of the doors to Buyer. Doors will be repaired or replaced in the same stage of fitting and/or finishing as they were originally supplied. Sun Mountain will not pay any cost to remove defective doors or to install new doors, and will not be responsible for any finishing costs or consequential damages. Final warranty inspection will be made at Sun Mountain’s location, upon receipt of defective product. If the claim is found by Sun Mountain, in its sole discretion, to be invalid, neither repair/replacement nor refund will be issued.
This limited warranty does NOT apply to any of the following:
- Doors more than 8’ tall or 3’6” wide
- Lited doors or one-panel wood doors over 6’8” tall or 3’ wide
- Doors that have warp which does NOT exceed 1/4” in the plane of the door (see below)
- Doors less than 1-3/4” thick for exterior use
- Doors which have not been properly sealed on all six sides within 14 days of delivery, including the top and bottom edges of the door
- Damage caused by failure to comply with Sun Mountain’s “Finishing and Care Instructions”
- Damage due to improper or incorrect installation
- Exterior doors used in a commercial application
- Damage caused by others or by any cause beyond the control of Sun Mountain, including but not limited to damage caused by misuse, abuse, accident, mishandling or by fire, flood, earthquake, storm, tornado or other acts of nature
- Misuse of a door, including but not limited to, using a door in an exterior application without adequate overhang, or with an inappropriate exterior finish color (Note: Adequate overhang depends on the typical weather conditions of the site where the building is located, but generally means an overhang projecting a distance away from the door at least equal to one-half the elevation difference between the bottom of the door and the base of the overhang structure. In order to reduce the chance of warping or checking, dark-colored finishes should be avoided on all exterior surfaces, especially if the door is exposed to direct sunlight.)
- Discoloration or rusting of decorative metal accents (clavos, grills, strap hinges, etc.)
- Damage due to trimming the door more than 1/2” from the top or 1-1/2” from the bottom of the slab
- Panel movement or shrinkage (Note: Panels in Sun Mountain doors are designed to “float”, and will expand or contract in response to environmental conditions)
- Expansion or contraction due to varying environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity
- Gates, or doors used in gate applications
- The appearance of any field finished door
In addition, the following natural properties and characteristics add to the beauty of wood doors and are not considered defects:
- On all knotty wood species, knots which show light through the door will be filled and knots which do not show light through the door and are not filled should be expected and are not considered defects (Note: On knotty wood species, the location, quantity, and size of knots is unpredictable)
- On all wood species, natural variations in the color, texture, and density of the wood is common and always acceptable
- On wire brushed doors, an inconsistent face plane where stiles or mullions meet rails is acceptable to a depth change of 1/16″, and an apparent open connection between stiles and rails is acceptable to a width of 1/32″
- On cedar doors, surface checks of up to 1/32″ in width are acceptable and do not compromise the structural integrity of the door
For the purposes of this warranty, warp is defined as any distortion in the door itself and does not refer to the relationship of the door to the frame or jamb in which it is hung. The term “warp” includes bow, cup and twist. In measuring the amount of warp in a door, the following method shall be used: Bow, cup and twist shall be measured by placing a 7′ straightedge on the suspected concave face of the door at any angle with the door in its installed position. The measurement of warp shall be made at the point of maximum distance between the bottom of the straightedge and the face of the door.
If the claimed defect is warp, Sun Mountain may defer replacing or refunding the door for a period of up to twelve (12) months from the date of claim or date of installation, in order to permit conditioning and equalizing to humidity and temperature conditions. The deferral period will not be counted against the one-year warranty period.
Note: This warranty is effective for all products manufactured or sold after August 1, 2004.